About the South Carolina Adopt-A-Beach Program
The Adopt-A-Beach program is part of the DHEC Marine Debris Initiative and is a great way for businesses, civic clubs, school groups, and neighborhood associations to make a significant contribution to the preservation of the South Carolina coast. Marine debris, which can be defined as any solid, man-made product or material that ends up in our coastal environments, threatens wildlife, economies, and human health and safety. Adopt-A-Beach partners participate in beach cleanups, remove debris from our beaches and coastal waterways, and provide marine debris collection data to DHEC. To learn more about marine debris, visit DHEC’s Marine Debris page.
You Can Participate
You can participate in the Adopt-A-Beach program as part of a group or as an individual.
To participate in recurring cleanups as part of a group:
- Register for a MyCoast account
- Log in to MyCoast and create a beach cleanup group
- Adopt a beach of your choosing
- Download the MyCoast app on any smartphones which will be taken to the beach (available for iOS and Android devices)
- Pick a day that is convenient for your group to clean your beach
- On cleanup day, just open the app and begin recording. Don’t worry if not everyone has a phone – more than one participant can record data on a single device
If you are visiting the South Carolina coast and would like to participate in a one-time cleanup, you just need to install the app, create an account giving your home state as SC and open it on the beach. Even if you’re just picking up a couple of things, it helps us to have that data for analysis. Thank you in advance!